Welcome ~Nya!

Jan 27, 2012

It Starts!



Today we have officially started our New Years Resolution. We have everything set up and figured out and now just have to put it in play and see how it works! So today (pay day) we are taking out in CASH the amount we think is sufficient for us for 2 weeks (until pay day again).

This money we are just calling 'spending money'. And it's use is mainly grocery shopping but there are other little things that come up or need like cat food for example or cat litter. Next Sunday we have to get 3 of our cats rabies shots so that would also be taken from the 'spending' money. So just the CASH in hand is what we have to spend for 2 weeks. This give us a limit on how much we spend in general and in turn - save more.

Now there are good things about just having cash on you.
The main one is that if you don't have your credit card or debit card - then you can't use it - so you won't have access to all that money you've got saved up in the bank!

Another good thing is that you can actually SEE how much $ you have and buy accordingly which leads to better choices in the grocery store or other stores for stuff you actually NEED.

Now to build our credit we have limited our credit cards to using them for gas only! Before we were maxing out both our credit cards and then paying them off full because we thought that it would build credit faster. It seems that this isn't the case o_o. PhotobucketIt's like they want you to have a credit card...but don't want you to use it. And supposedly not maxing your card out and just using it for little things builds credit faster. So credit cards are for gas only - it will also give us an idea of how much we really spend on gas in a months time!

We haven't really tried all this yet but I have a good feeling that it'll work there will prob be some trial and error but that's in anything you do. If something major comes up we still have back up so it's all okay =)





As for MY own Resolution I have already started that about 5 days ago. I am actually trying to properly learn Cantonese! For that last 4 days I have religiously been studying words and phrases and what make the sentences go together. Literally spending almost all my free time just learning and repeating things!

Mon I worked so I studied when I got home until about 10-11pm. That's about 4 hours.
Tues I went home early, slept a bit then started studying again. That was about 6 hours.
BUT Wed and Thurs I was off and I literally spent 8-10 hours on it!!


Now by the end of Mon + Tues my head really hurtPhotobucket (Taotung - headache). But I had been fighting being sick before so I think that also had something to do with it. It could also have been the fact that when I went to bed every night I kept thinking of Cantonese phrases and words in my head. I find myself just saying a sentence or word and sometimes not even knowing what it means! It's just in my head so I say it out loud. Will has looked at me weird a couple of times >>.

For example...I was in the kitchen and just randomly saying things to him. Like "Gwongdungwa deem gong a?" (How to you say....in Cantonese?) and "Nay ser-ng jou maht yeh?" (What do you want to do?) But then I come off and say "Sai lahn fah"...and I kept repeating it over and over then finally was like...I can't remember what that is or why I'm saying it but it's stuck in my head! He gave me his 'look' and was like "Broccoli!!! You're saying broccoli! Why are you saying broccoli?!" I was dumbfounded " I unno...was just in my head so I said it o-o."

I've started making flash cards and writing notes of why a sentence is said 'this' way or 'that' way. I've gotten to the point that with just words I've learned I can put together sentences by myself like "What are you doing?" (I just put this together last night without any help from hubby) "Nay jou mahtyeh" (What are you doing?) It's weird because it's backwards kinda like Spanish. Nay =you -- Jou= to do/doing --mahtyeh= what so literally it's "You doing what?" But that's with a lot of things I'm finding out. The verb or action word seems to always come before the 'question' word like 'what?'

Here's a quick lesson for any interested -

Ie:
Nay sic mahtyeh? (You eat what?)
Nay yum mahtyeh? (You drink what?)

Nay ser-ng oi mahtyeh? (You want what?) -

Now here 'ser-ng' is 'want' but with that word you always have to add an 'action word' or 'verb' to it for it to work. You can't just say "Nay ser-ng mahtyeh?"

So since there is no action - your just asking 'What do you want?' you place 'oi' after 'ser-ng'. Another example WITH a verb is:

Nay ser-ng yum mahtyeh? (What do you want to drink?) "Yum" is the verb 'drink'


Lol so wish me luck on my quest. It takes years to learn a language but I think as long as I can get my basics down and actually hold a convo with my hubby then I'll be happy.
"Gwongdungwa ho lan gong!"
Which means "Speaking Cantonese is hard!"

No comments:

Post a Comment